Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Transition Process

This is another link from buisinessballs.com. I guess I got hyper carried a way (if I may coin my own term for moving from one hyperlink to the next :) ). This deals with the phases that people go through with regards to change. The link discusses two theories, which I outline below, and the second link is a PDF file illustrating the transition curve. The site elaborates on the first model but the second one makes better sense to me as some resolution seems to take place; the first one is just a bit confusing to me. What are your views?

John Fisher's personal transition curve: 8 stages

  1. Anxiety: unsure of what the future looks like with the change
  2. Happiness: expect the best, some even have unrealistic expectations
  3. Fear: behavioral change occurs others notice but not the individual
  4. Threat: the individual becomes aware of behavioral changes
  5. Guilt: recognizes that old behavior was inappropriate
  6. Depression: confusion and de-motivation
  7. Disillusionment: goals differ from organizational goals
  8. Hostility: the change process is ignored or undermined
  9. Denial: the individual acts like the change has not occurred.

The Lewis-Parker 'Transition Curve' seven stages are summarized as follows:

  1. Immobilisation - Shock. Overwhelmed mismatch: expectations v reality.
  2. Denial of Change - Temporary retreat. False competence.
  3. Incompetence - Awareness and frustration.
  4. Acceptance of Reality - 'Letting go'.
  5. Testing - New ways to deal with new reality.
  6. Search for Meaning - Internalisation and seeking to understand.
  7. Integration - Incorporation of meanings within behaviours.

http://www.businessballs.com/personalchangeprocess.htm

http://www.businessballs.com/processofchange.pdf

2 comments:

Wayne Nelson said...

I like the second model, too. But I have to admit that whenever I look at change theories, I think of the book "Who Moved My Cheese" and I have to laugh. It's written as a parable about two mice. One embraces change as the cheese gets moved, seeing it as a challeng and adventure. The other mouse becomes immobile, resenting the change and the fact that there aren't the same rewards in his environment as before. Kind of a stupid book (quick to read, and I'll lend it if interested), but the message is there.

Julaine said...

I read the book. I think it is a good book too. Sometimes humans understand things best when it's done indirectly like in the form of an allegory.