Monday, August 18, 2008

Wiki fever














For some of us a wiki is a term and technology that has been in existence for a while now and for others the term is new. However, most have heard of the popular Wikipedia, well wiki is the technology behind this dynamic encyclopedia.

So what is a wiki?

In a nutshell it’s an internet based tool that enables easy content collaboration. For a super nice and easy to understand video explanation please view Wikis in Plain English from the Common Craft.

Why the fever?
Now that we understand what a wiki is, I can continue to spread my fever. For my internship, one of the projects that we are undertaking is a wiki and I am leading the project. Several of the interns were not familiar with the term wiki before or the value that it can provide so I am trying to be wiki champion.....let's see how that goes.

Where I Caught it!
I was introduced to the concept of a wiki about two years ago, when the university I worked with started using it as a documentation tool for the learning management system (LMS)...I saw how it was very useful as a collaboration tool.Then I used PBwiki for a class last semester and I found it very user friendly and effective, in fact it does not require any syntax for linking pages, you can just select existing page names from a drop down menu. It has been listed among the top tools for 2008.

SharePoint: Unfamiliar Territory

For my internship project we are using another platform, SharePoint, which I have no clue about......makes this project even more interesting. We are in the process of experimenting with it, but it seems like some of the basic wiki navigations that we are use to are not present.
  • What has your wiki experience been?
  • What are some of the best practices?
  • Have you used SharePoint wiki?
Please Share!!



2 comments:

tiajones said...

Hi Julaine,

When you're done trying out Sharepoint, look up Central Desktop. Central Desktop is a project management and collaboration tool. I'm talkin' intranet, wiki, task management, web conferencing, etc. It's geared towards small businesses, but you can use it for your own individual goals/tasks.

...check it out when you have a moment...
www.centraldesktop.com

Best,
Tia Jones
Community Manager
tia@centraldesktop-inc.com
www.myspace.com/mizztiajones

Julaine said...

Thanks Tia, I will surely check it out.